Robert is an accomplished marathon solo swimmer:
- English Channel solo 2012 (12 hours 4 mins) following 2 unsuccessful attempts in 2010 and 2012. His determination and epic battles helped inspire a second “generation” of Cork marathon swimmers and his experience of adversity was of value to future crews.
- Around Valentia Island (27 km) 2013 – speed record
- Skellig Michael to Portmagee (19 km) 2007 first time accomplished
- Blackrock Village to Cobh (13 km) 2007
- Sandycove to Speckled Door return (10 km) 2010
- Oysterhaven to Sandycove vis sovereign rocks (10 km) 2020
- Around the Old Head – Speckled Door to Garrylucas (10.5 km) 2019 (first group to accomplish the swim)
- 8 laps of Sandycove Island on a Perigean (BIG) Tide – all thru the gap in the rocks at corner 1 (13km) 2019 (first group to accomplish the swim)
- Garrettstown to Courtmacsherry (10km) 2021 (first group to accomplish the swim)
- Ice Mile in below 5C (1.6 km) 2013 the first year Cork swimmers accomplished the swim – plus a second in 2015
- One of 11 swimmers to accomplish 200 laps of Sandycove Island (1.6 km) in a year: 2010, 2012, 2019 and 2021 and one of 3 swimmers to accomplish 100 in a month (118 June 2010)
Robert Bohane served as crew chief on marathon swims:
- Around Valentia Island (27 km) 2008 first time accomplished – Ireland Marathon Hall of Fame Honouree Ned Denison
- Around Bere Island (24 km) 2013 only time accomplished – Ireland Marathon Hall of Fame Honouree Carol Cashell
- English Channel solo 2016 – Bernard Lynch
- English Channel solo 2017 – Carol Cashell
- English Channel solo 2019 – Jim Shalloo (first two trips to Dover he did not swim – Robert was on the second > Jim completed on the 3rd trip)
Robert is a valued administrator as well:
The inspiration and lead organiser for: Around Beginish Island (5.5 km) 2009, 2010, 2012, 2018 and 2019 and Portmagee to Knightstown (7.5 km) 2019, 2011 and 2014.
The inspiration for the Páraic Casey (Cork swimmer who died 1 km from France in 2012) memorial benches in Dover and Sandycove Island.
The inspiration and organiser for the AED installation at Sandycove which was subsequently used in an incident.
The inspiration and organiser for: Organised the Around the Old Head Speckled Door to Garrylucas (10.5 km) 2019
The inspiration and organiser for: Organised swim from Kilmacsimon down the Bandon River past Kinsale to Sandycove (16 km) 2020
The inspiration and organiser for: Organised swim from Garrettstown to Courtmacsherry (10km) 2021
Robert has accompanied many newcomers young and old to the sport to swim around Sandycove and is one of the main organisers of the dawn swims April to September each year.